Menai Strait Pilotage District Charges – 2021-22
Pilotage is compulsory for the following category of vessel within the Menai Strait between Puffin Island and Caernarfon Bar
1. PASSENGER VESSELS OVER 20 METRES IN LENGTH.
2. ALL VESSELS OVER 50 METERS IN LENGTH
3. ALL VESSELS OVER 1500 G.T.
4. VESSELS ENGAGED IN TOWING WHERE THE COMBINED LENGTH OF THE TOWING VESSEL
AND THE TOW IS 50M IN LENGTH OR MORE.
5. VESSELS THAT YHCHT DEEM TO REQUIRE A PILOT IN THE INTEREST OF SAFE NAVIGATION
6. VESSELS CARRYING HAZARDOUS CARGO. AS DEFINED IN MGN 340 (IDGM)
Additional for vessels making passage through the Swellies Channel:
7. EVERY VESSEL HOLDING A PASSENGER CERTIFICATE, AND CARRYING PASSENGERS
8. ALL VESSELS IN EXCESS OF 3.5 METRES DRAFT AND/OR 50 METRES IN LENGTH, AND/OR IN
EXCESS OF 500 G.T.
References to the tonnage of a ship are references to the vessel’s gross tonnage ascertained in
accordance with the International Convention on Tonnage Measurement of Ships 1969.
The charges specified in this list shall be payable in respect of services used on or after 1st April 2021 until 31st March 2022.
References to the tonnage of a ship are references to the vessel’s gross tonnage ascertained in accordance with the International Convention on Tonnage Measurement of Ships 1969.
Services of a Pilot:
- For piloting a vessel from sea to berth or place within the limits of the Pilotage District, or vice versa, 21.42 pence per Gross Tonne, subject to a minimum of 850 Gross Tonne.
- The charges for berthing a vessel from anchor off berth at Caernarfon or Bangor shall be an amount equal to one half of the applicable pilotage charge as calculated under item 1.
- If a Pilot is detained on board a ship at the request of the Master, a charge of £26.53 per hour will apply, provided that no charge shall be made for any period of less than 1 hour.
- If, on attending an outward bound vessel by request, a Pilot’s services are not required, a charge equivalent to one third of the applicable Pilotage charge as calculated under item 1 will apply.
- If an order for a Pilot for an inward bound ship from Sea be cancelled, then a cancellation fee of £45.00 may be charged. In the event that the pilot launch has been mobilised towards the pilot boarding station and a Pilot’s services are not required (due to the non-arrival of the vessel on the tide on which it was due, or for any other reason whatsoever) a charge of one half of the applicable Pilotage charge as calculated under item 1 will apply, together with the applicable charge for the pilot shipping or landing charge below.
- Services other than the above can be made by arrangement with the Harbour Master, Caernarfon.
Pilot – Shipping or Landing Charges:
- The charge for shipping or landing a Pilot, whether to or from Sea OR to or from anchor off berth shall be £232.01.
- The charge for shipping or landing a Pilot over a Bank Holiday weekend and/or during the hours of 1900 to 0700 shall be £266.30.
Payment of Accounts:
All Charges for Pilotage or shipping/landing a Pilot should be settled within 30 days of invoice.