01/04/2021 – Y Fenai – Siart 1464 – Menai Strait – Chart 1464
Harbour Master’s General Direction
5 Knot Speed Limit
By virtue of the provisions of Sec. 52 Harbour, Docks and Piers Clauses Act 1847, Port and harbour of Caernarfon Harbour Master has made the following General Direction:
1. This Direction is given to Masters (see note a) and persons having command or charge of any vessel (see note b) other than those vessels listed in paragraph 4(i) to 4(v).
2. This Direction applies at all times and in the area north of the existing and active speed limit at Y Felinheli. (Now known as the “Y Felinheli to Garreg Ginnog” Area of General Direction). The “Y Felinheli to Garreg Ginnog” means the area below the level of mean high water spring tides bounded by a line drawn along the northern extent of the existing charted speed limit at Y Felinheli and through to a new line drawn from a point 53ᵒ12.30’N 004ᵒ12.44’W to a point 53ᵒ12.40’ N 044ᵒ12.82’W. (Illustrative chart extract at end of NtoM).
3. At the Northern and Southern extent of the entire speed limit. Special Marks will be positioned to demark the area.
4. This Direction is not given to Masters and persons having command or charge of vessels:
(i) used by search and rescue organisations
(ii) of the Caernarfon Harbour Authority
(iii) of HM Customs and Excise
(iv) vessels under sail.
(v) used as safety boats by Yacht and Sailing Clubs and other such organisations when engaged in operations where complying with this Direction would inhibit their ability to fulfil their function as a safety boat
5. No vessel, except those listed in paragraphs 4(i) to 4(v), shall proceed at a speed of greater than 5 knots.
6. This Direction is given notwithstanding the requirements of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (see note c) and The Port and Harbour of Caernarfon Bylaws 1991 (see note d).
7. Not to comply with this Direction is a criminal offence for which the person having command or charge of the vessel may be prosecuted (see note e).
8. The Harbour Master or his deputies will be actively monitoring the compliance with this General Direction.
David John O’Neill
Caernarfon Harbour Master
a Sec.3 Harbour, Docks and Pier Clauses Act 1847
b As defined in the Port and Harbour of Caernarfon Bylaws 1991.
c Merchant Shipping (Distress Signals and Prevention of Collisions) Regulations 1996 [SI 75/1996]
d Port and Harbour of Caernarfon Bylaws 1991.
e Sec.3 and Sec.53 Harbour, Docks and Piers Clauses Act 1847
Owners, Agents Charterers, Marinas, Yacht Clubs and Recreational Sailing Organisations should ensure that the contents of this Notice are made known to the master or persons in charge of their vessel or craft.